Thursday, February 4, 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD

 
MERVIN RUSSELL MCQUEEN
February 4, 1928 - October 17, 1987

Happy Birthday Dad.  My dad was only 59 years old when he passed away and thats way, way too young to be taken from us.  I have missed him so much the past 23 years.  He was a great SON,  BROTHER, HUSBAND, FATHER, GRANDFATHER and would have been a fantastic GREAT GRANDFATHER.  I miss and love you dad.

a little memory to share...........Sunday mornings were my dads time in the kitchen when we were growing up. He would let my mom sleep in.  He would always get up early, brew a pot of coffee and smoke a few cigs while waiting for us kids to wake up.  When he couldn't stand it any longer and wanted us up,  we would be woken up to him running down the hallway yelling "FIRE" or he would put on his "GEORGE S. PATTON" album and we would hear 'ole GEORGE'S speech at a very high volume.  One of those two things would always get 3 of us kids out of bed.  That would be myself and my twin brothers Mike and Steve.  My sister Gail would put the covers over her head and go back to sleep.  So our routine would be to help dad cook our Sunday breakfast.  We would prepare huge amounts of food.  Dad would have us peeling potatoes, mixing up pancake batter, frying up bacon and sausage, making toast, etc.  While we were doing all of this we would keep asking......." what is Gail going to do"?  My dad would always say, "If she doesn't get up and help, she can't eat".  The 3 of us would always reply, "Dad you say that every Sunday and then you let her come sit at the table and eat with us".  He would tell us, "Well....not this time".  Mike, Steve and I would look at each other and say "finally".  We would be so convinced that this was the Sunday that she couldn't eat!!  Well.....guess what?  My sister Gail ate Sunday breakfast with us each and every Sunday.  I'm sitting here right now wishing that we could have just one more Sunday morning breakfast as a family.  

IN OUR HEARTS FOREVER
xoxo Karen

2 comments:

Shell Shearer Swinscoe said...

oh hun thats a beautiful memory...
huge hugs to you

shell xx

RHONDA said...

KAREN, I MISS YOUR DAD TOO... MY UNCLE PAPA...
HE ALWAYS MADE ME LAUGH WHENEVER WE WERE ALL TOGETHER.. WE BOTH HAVE BEAUTIFUL MEMORIES OF HIM... THAT IS SOMETHING THAT NO ONE CAN EVER TAKE AWAY FROM US!
JUST REMEMBER HE IS IN A BETTER PLACE & SOMEDAY WE WILL ALL BE REUNITED AGAIN.
GOD BLESS & LOVE YA,
RHONDA