Monday, November 10, 2008

My thrift store purchase!!!









I bought this chubby little chipboard children's book at a thrift shop near my work for 60 cents last week. I was not sure what I was going to do with it! I brought it home and tossed it on my scrap table and then remembered I had a bunch of Halloween pic's from carving night that I needed to scrap. So I made a mini album out of it.

First I painted it black....making sure to let each page dry before painting the next. I tore pieces of Halloween paper and added it to each page using Royal Coat....also making sure to let each page dry. I also added little stickers of owls, pumpkins and cats. I also used Royal Coat on each one of those. Before I added the photo's I Royal Coated strips of ribbon and ric-rak to each page. I used lots of Royal Coat on this little album!!! The last thing I did was to tie a strip of ribbon through the book binding and then I tied different ribbons and ric-rak to that strip of ribbon. That just fancied up the album binding edge a bit. To keep the album closed I tied a piece of ribbon around it.

This was my first time altering a little book like this and it won't be my last. I bought 6 of them!! I gave this one to Michael and Sally yesterday and they really loved it. Lisa and Steve asked where their little album was???? I told them they will get one of our Thanksgiving together. Steve said, he wanted their little album to be made from a bigger book!!!!

8 comments:

**luci** said...

WOW, this is amazing and sooo fun, love it, and awesome ideal.

Lissa said...

That is soo cool!

Laura said...

You did an awesome job on this! I love it!

Suz said...

I've been doing that for a while... they really make fun inexpensive gifts TFS

byondbzr said...

Awesome job,I love it!

Elizabeth Rosenquist Foundation said...

Momma K, you did the most amazing job on this. You never cease to amaze me! I mean it! I will definately keep my eye out for those little chipboard books next time I go thrifting :) and give them to you of course. KEEP up the great blogging :) I love seeing what you are doing! Love ya, Lucy

tennesissy said...

Karen, This is SO cool! Leave it to you to come up with something so unique and so creative! I'll be trying this too (so many projects. . .so little time! I need to win the lottery and retire so I can just play all day!). Thanks for the link and the complete description. Hugs to you! Vicki

Jodee said...

this is wonderfully done! So creative and very pretty! Thanks for sharing!